Home is only enjoyable if it is also safe, but unfortunately there are a number of safety hazards that can lurk in nearly any home. So what should households do do ensure their residence is safe for them to live in?. Homeowners should consider these potential safety hazards so they can confirm that their household is secure in the space.
Water Damage and Flooding
Water damage is more than a mere inconvenience. Homes that sustain long-term water damage may accumulate mold in the walls or under the flooring, which could lead to serious health problems in family members. Water damage can also make certain structures less likely to support the home. Water damage in the roof may cause leaking, sinking, or even a partial collapse, and it may cause a mold infestation to grow in the house. Coping with excess water requires prompt attention and a solution to stop the source of the leak.
Fire Hazards in the Home
A house fire is a major risk to the family and the property. People who do not take care whenever they are around an open flame put themselves in trouble. Any heat-producing entity, like a furnace or other heater, needs to have plenty of clear space around it. Flammable materials could ignite and cause a fire. Homeowners should install smoke alarms and fire extinguishers in several locations throughout the home. All family members need to practice safely exiting the home in case of emergency.
Electrical outlets and wires are a source of shocks and fires in the home. Homeowners need to protect small children from accessing these. Testing the system once a year may identify possible problems that need to be fixed. Wiring should always be kept out of reach of children and animals. Outlet covers keep babies and toddlers from sustaining a shock.
Sometimes, the things that people do not see could pose the greatest risk. For example, any fuel-burning heat source inside the home creates a byproduct that needs to be removed from the home's interior. Ventilation equipment accomplishes this removal, and eliminates a potentially-deadly buildup of carbon monoxide. Ensuring that the ventilation equipment is used appropriately and in good condition helps to minimize the likelihood of disaster.
Carbon monoxide is odorless, tasteless and potentially deadly. Between 20,000 and 30,000 people in the US become ill from carbon monoxide exposure each year. Around 500 die. Understanding how this gas gets into the home and the best ways to prevent exposure can protect families and keep them safe.
Sources of Carbon Monoxide in the Home
Carbon monoxide can get into the air in a home through a number of faulty or inappropriately used devices. Kerosene heaters, which require maintenance and safety checks when used indoors, are a common source of carbon monoxide gas in the home.
Other common causes of carbon monoxide poisoning include:
- gasoline-fueled appliances.
- improperly vented fireplaces.
- gasoline generators.
- gas stoves.
- leaking furnace systems.
- wood-burning stoves.
Individuals who use any of the above in their homes should have their homes equipped with a carbon monoxide detector. Commonly sold alongside smoke detectors, these devices can be used to reveal the presence of carbon monoxide gas before poisoning symptoms set in.
Anyone can slip or trip and fall in the home, but certain populations are more likely to get injured. Homeowners should take steps to prevent falls in the home, which could cause broken bones or even death. Installing a handrail and using childproof fences at the top of the stairs are effective ways to stop people from falling.
Protecting everyone in your Palmer home takes knowledge and the preparation of a safe space. By taking these safety hazards seriously, homeowners can get ready for years of happy ownership.